"Reaching Philae" Top 5 Page for this destination Philae Transportation Tip by MM212
Philae Transportation: 14 reviews and 17 photos
Getting to Philae is not straightforward. One is likely to be staying in the city of Aswan, about 15 minutes north of Philae. So to get to Philae one must:
1) Arrange for transport by car from Aswan to Philae, typically you can arrange for a car from your hotel or a taxi and ask the driver to wait for you while you visit the site;
2) Drive in the taxi for 15 minutes south of Aswan and upon arrival, take the driver's cell phone number and car number (you'll need it when you exit);
3) Pay the entry fee at the ticket booth;
4) Get onto one of the many boats at the end of the dock (here, it's chaotic) and arrange the price for a return trip with the boat captain (this is separate from the entry fee);
5) The boats are typically shared, unless you are part of a big group;
6) The boat will drop you at Agilkia Island (where Philae is), but you must remember your captain's face and arrange to be picked up again at a specific time;
7) After finishing the tour, ride the same boat again to be transported to the mainland where you pay the boat captain the agreed upon price;
8) Find your taxi driver (typically, you'll have to give the security guard the car number and he'll call the driver in for you).
This will seem like a hassle if you are not prepared, but otherwise, it's a smooth operation. Unfortunately, I wasn't prepared and it did seem like a hassle at the time!
Lastly, a trip to Philae could easily be combined with a stop in beautiful Kalabsha.