"Courthouse Square" Top 5 Page for this destination Denton Favorite Tip by DEBBBEDB
Denton General: 4 reviews and 16 photos
Favorite thing: Denton was named for The Reverend John Denton, a lawyer, preacher, ranger, and Indian fighter. The center of town is the Courthouse Square, which is surrounded by restaurants (photo 5) and stores that sell such things as books, antiques, sporting goods, handmade carpets, and jewelry (photo 2). In the center of the square is the courthouse (photo 4).
The first Denton Courthouse was built in 1857 on the north side of the square. In 1875, the Courthouse burned. Two years later, the city built a new, brick Courthouse in the center of the Square. In 1895, lightening hit the Courthouse and started a fire. The fire burned the Courthouse down. Between 1895 and 1877, a larger, stone Courthouse, the Courthouse-on-the-Square was built using locally quarried limestone, gray sandstone from Mineral Wells, and Burnet County red granite for the columns. In modern times, the courthouse fell into disrepair, so in 1985, it was restored and a museum was put in on the first floor (see "Things To Do" Tip)
Fondest memory: John Bunyan Denton was born in Tennessee on July 28, 1806, orphaned and then adopted by a family named Wells, which shortly afterwards migrated to Arkansas Territory. Denton ran away from home when he was twelve years old and for a time worked as a deckhand on an Arkansas River flatboat. In 1824 he married Louisianan Mary Greenlee Stewart, who taught him to read and write. He joined the Methodist Episcopal Church, and for ten years served in Arkansas and southern Missouri as an itinerant minister. In the fall of 1836 or early in 1837, Denton crossed the Red River into Texas, and began the study of law. He served in the military, as a captain in a company commanded by Col. Edward H. Tarrant. On May 22, 1841, the unit attacked the Indians of Keechi Village in the battle of Village Creek, about six miles east of the site of Fort Worth. Denton was instantly killed by a bullet that hit his chest as he raised his rifle to fire. His body was brought back on horseback and buried in an unmarked grave on the east bank of Oliver Creek, near its confluence with a stream now called Denton Creek. Twenty years later John S. Chisum disinterred the remains and buried them in a wooden box in the corner of the yard of his home on Clear Creek, near Bolivar. In 1901 the Pioneer Association of Denton County, after diligent search and thorough identification, again removed the remains and buried them with appropriate ceremonies in the southeast corner of the Denton County Courthouse lawn.