Fogon: "It will do in a pinch." El Fogon Tip by Boxer16

El Fogon, Montevideo: 4 reviews and 1 photos

Nice variety and close to the Sheraton. The wine list was commendable. The fried squid was flaccid, I would not order that dish again. The salads were very good. The wine list made us happy. The asparagus was way overcooked. The sausages were great. The service was just OK, it was an extremely busy time. The downstairs was completely full, so we sat upstairs, which is not air conditioned. It was extremely hot (early February). Considering the fabulous food we had at other restaurants in Buenos Aires and Montevideo it is hard to give this one a high rating. Unfortunately, there are few places to eat near the Sheraton and public safety is a huge concern, especially at night. So, if it is the only place open I would not hesitate to eat there. But, I would be careful about what I ordered and try for a less busy time. As an alternative, I recommend the place across the street and about a block closer to the Sheraton. Look for the parilla in the window. There they also have great sushi, of all things.

Favorite Dish: "Baby Beef" was the best of what we ordered. I believe it is the same as a rib-eye cut. Most of the beef in Uruguay and Argentina is grass fed (our preference), which makes it very tasty but a bit tougher and leaner than what would normally be expected in the U.S..

Address: San Jose 1080
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Downtown area
Phone: +598 2900 0900
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 2
Theme: Local

• Written Mar 15, 2008

More Restaurants in Montevideo (1)

Ranked Member

Have you been to Montevideo?