"How to cure a 3-year old of a scary obsession" Top 5 Page for this destination London Dungeon Tip by sourbugger

London Dungeon, London: 53 reviews and 46 photos

I must admit that even I can be wrong sometimes. I had previously placed a tip on the London Dungeons in the ?Tourist trap? section after a visit a few years back. I will give Merlin entertainments, the owners, their due. It is still expensive for what it is, but they have significantly improved the 90-minute ?visitor experience? at this flagship location. The whole ?your? take about an hour and a half through various mock-ups of London?s past. The jails, jack the ripper and Sweeney Todd are all there among all piles of Halloween tat.

The scenes are supplemented with a number of actors who I must admit do a terrific job, considering the fact that they must deliver their lines every five minutes. We were amongst the first group in the day we visited, and this must have helped. Most lines are delivered in a kind of smutty ?Carry-on film? meets B-movie screamer way. Screaming wenchs jump out from behind doors and mad axe-men appear from nowhere all the time. I was especially impressed with the smuttiness of one actress at the ?mock trial? who after her section had finished invited me (for I was pushing a pram and nearing steps) to ?Come up my back passage if you like sir, it?s a bit tight, but I?m sure you?ll manage?. I was giggling at her saucy line, but I don?t think any of the other nationalities in the group of 30 or so understood a word of her double- entendre.

The experience now ends with a ?trauma tower? that is supposed to simulate a hanging. This was somewhat tame. It?s seems a pity that they couldn?t incorporate a real noose into the ride and a black hood for added effect.

If you can stomach the prices, then enjoy it as a piece of kitsch theatre, or just use it as we did to scare the bejesus out of our three-year-old. That will be last time that he says to use ?I like scary stuff?. Not any more you don?t.

Address: 28-34 Tooley Street, SE1
Directions: London Bridge tube/Network Rail
Phone: +44 871 423 2240
Website: http://www.thedungeons.com

• Written Mar 14, 2008

Comments

sourbugger

“Deny yourself nothing, but deny everything.”

Have you been to London?