VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"Kind and generous people" Helsinki Favorite Tip by BillNJ

Helsinki General: 193 reviews and 193 photos

Favorite thing: Before visiting Helsinki, I had read that the Finnish people tend to be shy and withdrawn. In my experience, that is only partially true. I agree that the Finns are not as outgoing as many other people of the world -- and they will generally leave you alone if you don't approach them. However, after I took the initiative to introduce myself, most Finnish people whom I met were kind and generous.

Fortunately, most of the Finns that I met spoke English very well (I was told that English is a mandatory subject in Finnish schools). I enjoyed many interesting conversations. Also, on more than one occasion, a Finn bought me a drink as a gesture of friendship -- and expressed sincere appreciation that I chose to visit Finland on my vacation. My recommendation when visiting Finland is to take the initiative to start conversations with local Finns -- and to enjoy their friendship and goodwill.

• Written Mar 12, 2008

Comments

BillNJ

“Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow. ”

Have you been to Helsinki?