"Holidays in Cuba" Cuba Favorite Tip by Arc86

Cuba General: 276 reviews and 209 photos

Favorite thing: I've been to Cuba last summer with mainly your ideas.

First thing I realised was that this way of travel (cheap, without commitments) is nearly impossible to have there.
There are some possibilities, but you are very constricted. (Tourist) restaurants are always very expensive..as well as tourist hotels, hire cars and tourist puplic transportation.

(Cuban) hotels are forbidden for non-cubans (like in the opposite way). In case of restaurants, beside the expensive ones I only found very little "fast food" restaurants.

The best way to stay cheap is to sleep in "casas particulares" and also eat there. 20-25 CUC the night, dinner 5-8 CUC.

By the way I wouldn't spend much than 3 days in Havanna. (I would recommend you to stay in a smaller city like Cienfuegos). Not because its dangerous, but because the people there are very exhausting, even for Latin American countries. In the tourist area (with Malecon etc.) you can't walk for more than 30 seconds without someone appears trying to trick you. They are more capitalist like than in any capitalist country in Latin America, maybe because most of them are very well educated. They all realise very fast that you as a European tourist have more money in your pocket than they earn in a whole year.

Although I have to say that Cubans have a much better life standard than millions of citizens in capitalist countries. They have a great healthcare system, good education and first of all enough food - and really all of them! A lot of things are much better down there than our press tell us here in Europe. From that point of view I was really impressed in a positive way - but in case of traveling I was very disappointed.

Ask me if you have futher questions..

• Written Mar 12, 2008