Marché: "Marché" Marche - Closed Tip by BeatChick

Provençale Galette
      Bouillabaise
      Crème Brûlée
    by BeatChick

Following another of Dab's fine suggestions, I opted for Marché, a French bistro. The reason for picking this over her other fine French resto is that Marché does an $18.50 prix fixe for lunch (Mon Ami Gabi has one through Wednesday but I was here the day after). With various wines, aperitif, and digestif it jumped a bit in price.

The décor is cool, eclectic & funky with umbrellas hanging from the ceiling, columns painted with various Parisian symbols such as a dancing Josephine Baker and Toulouse-Lautrec-inspired Folies Bergeres scenes.

Tables are covered with white cloths while the chairs are covered in different colored velour to match the umbrellas hanging above.

Favorite Dish: I started off with an aperitif of kir accompanied by one of the soup specials, the Shrimp Bisque, which was perfection - loads of cream, tomato-ey, rich, tender little shrimp. A tomato olive oil was swirled atop. It was so savory it tasted as if it had a smidgen of parmesan cheese in the soup, but no, the waiter assured me it was due to all the cream!

This was followed by an amuse bouche of Provençale galette - savory, filled with tomatoes, which very much complemented the soup.

The main course was bouillabaise, something I'd never eaten before, but since I love seafood so much I decided to try it. It, too, was perfection with the fish and seafood served medium and very tender.

Dessert was, of course, crème brûlée, being one of my favorites (and since none of the other desserts captured my fancy). I tried a Sauterne, a dessert wine, to go with this. Afterwards, I requested a framboise thinking I was getting the eau de vie as a digestif but was instead served a syrupy concoction, something you'd put inside a dry white wine or champagne. Not sure what the server was thinking. I'm sure they must've had it as they also carried armagnac but I suppose my request for an eau de vie didn't quite translate. This was followed up with espresso.

Excepting the disappointment with the eau de vie it was a fantastic meal!

Photos: March 2008

Address: 833 W. Randolph
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: one block west of Halsted
Phone: 312-226-8399
Price: US$31-40
Rating: 5
Theme: French
Website: http://www.marche-chicago.com/

• Updated Mar 9, 2008

Comments

BeatChick Lives Here!

BeatChick

“When good Americans die, they go to Paris. ~ Oscar Wilde”

Have you been to Chicago?