Moon Palace: "Chinatown-Shanghai cuisine" Top 5 Page for this destination Moon Palace Tip by Dabs

Moon Palace, Chicago: 1 reviews and 0 photos

We always seem to end up in Chinatown for lunch and go for dim sum but on the rare occasion we head down there for dinner, we head to Moon Palace for Mandarin/Shanghai cuisine. Even on cold March Saturday night, there was a wait to get a table but the line went quickly.

Service is very quick, several waitresses stopped by to take our order before we were finally ready. Once you order, the food comes out really fast. Some of the places in Chinatown can be a little dumpy but this one seems clean and well run. The clientele was a mix of Chinese and non-Chinese.

Favorite Dish: We were starving so the four of us ordered three appetizers, eggrolls, pot stickers and crab rangoon, plus egg drop soup for me, hot and sour soup for everyone else. For entrees David and I got Mongolian beef and pork with onions to split. The crab rangoon didn't excite me but the rest of it was very good, the meat on both of our entrees was extremely tender with a lot of flavor. I don't know enough about Chinese cuisine to tell you if it's authentic or not, just that I thought it tasted very good. The menu is extensive and I understand that you can order Peking Duck and not have it take an hour.

Normally I wouldn't order alcohol in a Chinese restaurant but we did here as they have a full bar, we ordered mai tais and they came in these tall fu manchu glasses, kind of like tiki glasses, and were very tasty. Our bill with tax, but before tip, was $120 for four, about $45 for alcohol so without beverages expect to spend about $15-20 per person for a lot of food.

Address: 216 W. Cermak
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: El stop: Chinatown/Cermak, if you are coming via el, walk towards Three Happiness and it's on the same side of the street just a few doors down
Phone: 1 312-225-4081
Price: US$11-20
Rating: 4
Theme: Chinese/Dim Sum

• Updated Mar 9, 2008

Dabs Lives Here!

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to Chicago?