Pastelaria Charcutaria Monte Alto: "Locals favourite in Saldanha" Restaurante Monte Alto Tip by WardrobeMK

Restaurante Monte Alto, Lisbon: 2 reviews and 4 photos

Our meal at the restaurant
      Our meal at the restaurant
      Our bill
    by WardrobeMK
      They have fresh fish every day
    by WardrobeMK

I discovered this restaurant on my first Lisbon trip couple of years ago and decided to go back as the food and the service is so good. First time I was staying at the Hotel Real Parque nearby and this time I was at the Hotel Eduardo VII, which is just down the road, so it was handy for dinner.

It's on Rua Filipe Folque in Saldanha. If you come out of Parque metro station (Blue line, one exit), turn left, cross the road and it's the first street on the right. On the corner there is a "fruit" supermarket, i.e nothing but fruit.

The restaurant is in the corner of the first building on the right, next to the stairs leading down to Rua Sebastiao da Pedreira. (Note : there is no access to that street from the main street Av. Fontes Pereira de Melo)

It's run by a friendly team and they know their steak and fish! They have a good selection of fresh fish every day.

They speak English and they remember what you like, we went in for a second time on this trip and they asked straight away: "Same as yesterday?" (drinks)

The locals pop in for a swift coffee or a drink and stand at the bar and there is also a lottery stand in the corner.

NOTE: They are closed Saturdays and Sundays as most of the locals restaurants. If you're in Lisbon over the weekend it's best to eat in town.

EDIT: I've been back there since I wrote this article (in March 2008), in Nov 2008, October 2009, May 2011, May 2012 and May 2013. The food is still yummy and service/prices great! It's now 7 trips I've visited them and will be going back again!

Favorite Dish: The bill in the photos is for 5 beers, 4 wines, a steak and a calamari dish plus little extras like bread, some yummy local cheese etc. which they always bring to the table to nibble on. We were there for 5 hours from 4 till about 9. We'd been shopping all day and were going to have just a quick drink but got to talking some locals and ended up having a meal as well.

They have a selection of fresh fish every day and the steaks are lovely. And the cakes...ooooh! Yummy!

With the smoking ban the locals smokies have been forced out onto the street but they open up the front wall when it's warm enough so the tables are"outside", so as long as you sit at one of the tables on the edge you can smoke.

Address: Rua Filipe Folque 10, Saldanha
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Out of the Parque metro station, turn left, across the street, first on the right. The restaurant is on the corner of the first building on the right after the bridge, next to the stairs going down. It's green with glass walls.
Phone: 213571005
Price: US$31-40
Rating: 5
Theme: Local

• Updated May 13, 2013

WardrobeMK Visits Here Frequently!

“When you're lost wander around long enough and you'll end up somewhere!”

Have you been to Lisbon?