Salsa Brava: "the Bad and the Ugly" Puerto Viejo Restaurant Tip by jerseyboy07030

Puerto Viejo Restaurants: 37 reviews and 38 photos

One fine evening this past February, my wife and I went for a stroll along the main drag of P.V. in search of a restaurant. We were suckered into trying our luck at Salsa Brava. The torches, the waterfront location, the 2-for-1 cocktail special, the spiel of a drunken old ex-pat from New York--we bought the pitch hook, line and sinker.

Straight out of the gate, there was trouble. Something about the 2-for1 cocktails; a qualification. My wife smoothed it over. Two drinks arrived.

We ordered entrees. Tuna, Japanese style for me; calamari for my wife. The plates arrived. My tuna tasted fine, but was raw in the middle. I told my wife I wanted to send it back for more cooking--and by the way, how was the calamari? She said it was like rubber. I tried to cut it. Sure enough, it was like a Bridgestone. Impossible.

I summoned the waitress, a young Tica, and told her the following: I was enjoying the tuna, but would like it broiled until the was medium in the middle. My wife, unable to cut the calamari (see for yourself, show it to the chef, etc), would like to order another dish. The waitress had no trouble with my request for additional cooking time; she had trouble, however, with my wife's request for a substitute entree. She made a face and acquiesced. My wife ordered the same tuna that I had ordered.

A few minutes passed. The waitress brought out my tuna, which presumably had spent time on the broiler. As she was placing it before me, I requested that she please keep my entree warm until my wife's entree was ready so that we could eat at the same time. The waitress said no.

SAY WHA? I said, my Jersey blood beginning to boil. You mean to tell me that my wife and I have to eat in shifts?!?

Correct, I was informed. The kitchen wasn't set up to keep entrees warm.

Things were getting uglier, but once again my wife defused the confrontation by suggesting that we share entrees; we'd share mine, then share hers when it arrived. I tossed a mental coin. Heads, I turn over my table and look for a fight, devil take the hindmost; tails, out of deference to civility, I suck wind and we eat. Tails came up. My wife and I shared the entrees, but as you might imagine, the dinner was ruined.

Getting our check was the last straw. The waitress ignored all our requests for the tab until we got up and began walking out. All of a sudden the check appeared.

Stay out of this joint. The food is overpriced and the service is worse than awful. They treat diners with absolute contempt.

Address: on the main drag, a bit south of the action.
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 1
Theme: Seafood

• Written Mar 3, 2008

This member has not been ranked.
No VT rank yet.

Have you been to Puerto Viejo?