"Wewurukannala Temple" Top 5 Page for this destination Sri Lanka Things to Do Tip by Maxus

Sri Lanka Things to Do: 514 reviews and 791 photos

Approaching the Temple

Approaching the Temple
      Behind the Buddha's Head
      I was well impressed
    by Maxus
      I would hate that to happen to me
      That'll Teach You.
    by Maxus

On my first visit I arrived a little after dawn so it was cool, I had the place to myself and I guess I was very impressed because my diary says “I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything produced by man as beautiful as the great Buddha at Wewurukannala” and it’s unusual for me to write tosh like that when I’m sober.

The Buddha is stunning, maybe not as big as the Buddha at Matara but more striking because it hasn’t had a silly shelter built round it, although behind the Buddha there is a structure you can climb which allows you to look inside his head.

There is also a network of rooms and tunnels including a Chamber of Horrors (it starts with impressive life-sized statues but quickly becomes simply wall paintings). First you see the various sins committed by us mortals, for example being nasty to the Buddha, eating meat, throwing your aged parents out of the house etc (every manner of naughtiness appears to be here somewhere) and then underneath is the suitable punishment which sinners will receive when we get to hell.

Unfortunately my next visit was during the afternoon and was ruined by a succession of 'guides' in each different part of the Temple who would mutter two or three unintelligible sentences and then hassle you for money. I was happy to pay my official Rs100 ‘development contribution’ and I would never normally visit a Temple anywhere without leaving a Rs1000 donation but these 'guides' so pissed me off that I left before I had chance.

Directions: Get to Dikwella (about 15 miles east of Matara) then turn inland.

• Updated Jan 22, 2009

Comments

Maxus Visits Here Frequently!

Maxus

“Respect (and if in doubt have another banana)”

Have you been to Sri Lanka?