"Climb Koko Crater: A Diamondhead Alternative" Top 5 Page for this destination Hiking Tip by AKtravelers
Hiking, Oahu: 14 reviews and 38 photos
The climb to the top of Koko Crater is short, quick but steep. At first, the quick ascent could be off-putting, but we met an 80-year-old man on the way up the 1200-foot climb, so that inspired us to reach the top. Unfortunately, it started pouring rain when we summited but, being Hawaii, all we had to do was wait 10 minutes and the view opened up. Being above Hawaii Kai and having panoramas from Mokapu'u to Diamondhead was spectacular. I'll definitely do the hike again.
Sadly, I may have to do it quickly. There is talk of closing the hike to to the perceived danger from the rifle range near the base of the hike. Nevermind that no hiker has EVER been struck by a stray bullet and that there's mounds of earth between the trail and the range, someone is being a worry wart anyway. Frankly, this hike is such a good quickie that they should keep it open even if they do have one or two shootings a year. They keep Baltimore open, don't they?
More Things to Do in Oahu (22)
More Reviews (71)
- See All The Contemporary Museum: Art & a View
- See All friendly Vietnamese-French food in...
- See All Ko'olau: America's Hardest Golf Course! ...
- See All Hawaiian Waters Water Park: Why?
- See All Boom!! Fireworks for New Years!
- See All Introduced Species: A Threat to Hawaii
- See All Red Dirt Will Stain Forever
- See All Shop Like a Local at Aloha Stadium
- Air Travel is Required -- for Now!
- See All THE Hotspot is a Bar in a Mall (Really)
- See All A Refurbished Efficiency Hotel
- It's Hawaii! Bring Beach Stuff!
AKtravelers' Related Pages
Have you been to Oahu?Share Your Travels