"Climb Koko Crater: A Diamondhead Alternative" Top 5 Page for this destination Hiking Tip by AKtravelers

Hiking, Oahu: 14 reviews and 38 photos

Climbing Koko Crater with Hanauma Bay behind me

Climbing Koko Crater with Hanauma Bay behind me
    by AKtravelers
      Koko Crater opens up behind me
    by AKtravelers
      Ted and Olwen at the beginnig of the climb
    by AKtravelers

The climb to the top of Koko Crater is short, quick but steep. At first, the quick ascent could be off-putting, but we met an 80-year-old man on the way up the 1200-foot climb, so that inspired us to reach the top. Unfortunately, it started pouring rain when we summited but, being Hawaii, all we had to do was wait 10 minutes and the view opened up. Being above Hawaii Kai and having panoramas from Mokapu'u to Diamondhead was spectacular. I'll definitely do the hike again.
Sadly, I may have to do it quickly. There is talk of closing the hike to to the perceived danger from the rifle range near the base of the hike. Nevermind that no hiker has EVER been struck by a stray bullet and that there's mounds of earth between the trail and the range, someone is being a worry wart anyway. Frankly, this hike is such a good quickie that they should keep it open even if they do have one or two shootings a year. They keep Baltimore open, don't they?

• Written Feb 29, 2008

Comments

AKtravelers Used To Live Here!

AKtravelers

“My plan:1. See the world 2. Have a beer”

Have you been to Oahu?