"One word - Magical" Lomas de Tzununa Tip by brewjohnson

Lomas de Tzununa, Lago de Atitlán: 160 reviews and 5 photos

A room with a serious view!!!!
by brewjohnson

A room with a serious view!!!!
    by brewjohnson
      View from outside my room
    by brewjohnson
      View from the dining room... jaw dropping!
    by brewjohnson
      View from steps to G in his kayak-a long way down!
    by brewjohnson
      Kayaking away from the dock
    by brewjohnson

I'm going to make a bold statement - there cannot be a better place to stay at Lago Atitlan. I've never felt so good about a place from the moment I arrived to the moment I left. Seriously, within a few minutes of arriving at this incredible hotel, Giampiero and I almost simultaneously said "this place is magical". After being dropped off at the hotel's private boat dock, you hike up 350 or so meticulously placed steps to the hotel area. Even though we were dripping with sweat and G looked like he was about to go into cardiac arrest when we reached the hotel area (just kidding, buddy), we literally couldn't wipe the smiles off our faces. The beauty of the place, the incomparable views, the warmth of the staff (all residents of the adjacent village), the hospitality of the owner/hosts, literally, everything about Lomas de Tzunana is incredible. We were only there for 1 night, but we both agreed, we could have stayed for weeks and can't wait to make a return trip. A true gem of a place. If you're heading to Atitlan, I can't imagine a better place to stay. I'll add more later, but for the time being, check out Giampiero's write up on Lomas de Tzununa, found here: http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/da2b/196d00/3/

He pretty much hits the nail on the head.

Oh yes, the food is great (made with all local ingredients). I had local fish from the lake. It was lovely. They also make a mean Campari and orange juice.

Unique Qualities: Some of the best views in the world, incredibly gracious hosts, and lovely food (made with local ingredients)... a magical place!

Address: Hugging the steep hillside just before the very small town of Tzununa!
Comparison: about average
Directions: The best way to get there is by boat from Panajachel. Private (more expensive) or the public boat will drop you at the private dock. Then, its 350 steep steps up to the hotel. Its a little strenuous, but it is well, well worth it!
othercontact: reservas@lomasdetzununa.com
Price: US$40-80
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.lomasdetzununa.com/

• Updated Feb 25, 2008

brewjohnson Visits Here Frequently!

brewjohnson

“Who's up for a living spree?”

Have you been to Lago de Atitlán?