"Be careful WHEN you queue" Sainte-Chapelle Tip by christine.j

Sainte-Chapelle, Paris: 144 reviews and 351 photos

This was our first time to visit Sainte-Chapelle and we almost wouldn't have made it. The first time we arrived there around 11:45, there was a long queue and we started waiting. I finally walked up to see if the queue would go on behind the bend and only then did I see a sign saying that the chapel would be closed from one o'clock to (I think) two, I don't remember exactly.By the time we would have been down the queue, the chapel would be closed. We left and went to the flower market instead.
The next morning we were there very early, the queue was much shorter, in fact there were two, a right one for the chapel and a left one for the Palais de Justice.Even though there are clear signs saying which queue is for which entrance, several poor people had been waiting in the wrong one and had to go to the end of the other line. Again, as the day before, a sign was taken outside saying that the chapel would be closed during lunch hour, something which is not mentioned in the official opening times.

Once you're through with waiting in the line, have passed security, you get to buy your ticket and finally go into the chapel. It is definitely worth the wait!

It is an architectural miracle, especially considering the fact that it is more than 800 years old.The red and blue windows are breathtaking. We were lucky, the sun was shining for a short time when we were there, making the windows glow even more. Don't go upstairs to the famous glass windows all at once. The lower part of the chapel is also beautiful, especially the ceiling which resembles the sky.
The picture is from the lower part . My camera is not good enough to take good pictures of the glass windows.

Address: Boulevard du Palais
Directions: Sainte-Chapelle is inside the Palais of Justice on Ile de le Cité-- a few minute walk from Notre Dame. Métro : Cité, Staint-Michel, or Châtelet. RER: Chatelet -Les-Halles, Saint-Michel
Phone: 01 53 73 78 50
Website: http://www.pbase.com/francist/chap&page=all

• Updated Feb 19, 2008

More Things to Do in Paris (1)

• Maryimelda's Profile Photo
    Apr 4, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Hi Christine. I felt that St Chapelle was well worth the wait too. Can you tell me if the entry to the Palais du Justice is also the entry to the Conciergerie? I'm a little confused as I have only been to St Chapelle and this time would like to go to the Conciergerie. Very interesting Paris pages. I think our kids would like to see the automated museum.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
      Apr 8, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Hi Kate,
      thank you for looking at my Paris page. I was in Berlin for the weekend and didn't have any internet, that's why I didn't reply sooner. I'm sorry, but I'm not sure about the entrance to the Conciergerie and I hope you've found the answer in the meantime. The magic museum wil be fun for the children. Enjoy planning!

christine.j

“there's so much to see and learn”

Have you been to Paris?