Opera: "Nouveau Chinese" Opera - Closed Tip by Hopkid

Opera - Closed, Chicago: 2 reviews and 7 photos

While the food at Opera mainly has a Chinese background, it has been updated which is why I've categorized it as Pan-Asian. We had pre-arranged to dine here with VT pal, Kristi (Dabs) and her husband, David, following our private tour of the Art Istitute. Coincidentally it was also Kristi's birthday. The interior is very creatively and uniquely designed incorporated lots of color and an eclectic colletion of furniture, art, and furnishings. Upon entering restaurants with such interior design one immediately wonders if the food can meet the same high standards. I'm happy to say that Opera does follow through on the food end of things.

The menu is quite extensive with dishes that, one after the other, you tell yourself you must try. Starters range from $6-$14 with entrees ranging from $16-$36. So for one meal how is one to sample a wide range of dishes without breaking the bank? Why by ordering the Chef's Tasting Menu of course! For $80 per person ($110 including wine pairings), the kitchen will send out dish after dish of what they feel is best/fresh that day. They will take requests as well in case there's something on the menu that you *must* try. The best part is that you tell them when you're full, otherwise they'll keep bringing the dishes! The caveat here is that everyone at the table must order the Tasting Menu; single orders are not accepted. Luckily we were all game at the prospect and we were not disappointed. I think we went through 8 courses including dessert and we were thoroughly STUFFED! Dishes were fresh, tasty, and nicely presented. Our servers did a great job of describing each dish and the wines.

Definitely a memorable meal and great company!

Favorite Dish: I can't even recall a single dish but suffice it to say that it was all very good!

Address: 1301 S. Wabash Avenue
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: On the corner of 13th and Wabash
Phone: 312.461.0161
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 5
Theme: Pan-Asian and Pacific Rim
Website: http://www.opera-chicago.com/

• Updated Feb 18, 2008

“I may not be able to see it all, but I can die trying!”

Have you been to Chicago?