"Dogs" Top 5 Page for this destination Sorrento Local Custom Tip by leics

Sorrento Local Customs: 32 reviews and 61 photos

Doggy dreaming........
by leics

In Sorrento (actually, everywhere I went this trip) I learned that lots of people have dogs. And lots of people seem entirely happy to let their dogs wander around by themselves, and the dogs are entirely brilliant at avoiding cars/scooterini. I'm used to seeing cats in Italy (and elsewhere) but encountering so many dogs was a new experience (resulting in not many cats too!).

I like dogs, but am very wary of those I don't know. However, it soon became apparent that these wandering canines were not in the least bit interested in me (apart from a rather lovely one in Amalfi, who attached himself to me for a walk along the prom). Even the 'stray' dogs in Pompeii/Oplontis were not bothered; they just pootled around doing their usual doggy thing regardless of visitors.

How many dogs were 'strays' and how many simply having a good time looking after themselves I couldn't tell. Certainly not one of them looked underfed, and most of them looked pretty clean too. The dog in the photo, gazing longingly at the closed door of the butcher's shop, was just trying it on, imo!

As far as I could tell, the only thing to be wary of is what they leave behind them on pavements.

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Written Feb 17, 2008

More Local Customs in Sorrento (1)

“'Take clothes you can layer....' :-)”

Have you been to Sorrento?