"People giving out your personal details" Brazil Warnings Or Dangers Tip by BlueLlama

Brazil Warnings and Dangers: 97 reviews and 53 photos

This is something that happened to me time and time again in different places in Brazil. I think it's particularly worth pointing out as a danger because, unlike the more familiar scams, pickpocketing and dodgy casanovas travellers encounter. As it was something I'd never experienced before and had not been warned about, it took me a while to realise it's something that happens a lot.

I found that over-helpful people were only to keen to pass on my contact details to blokes who had taken an interest. It ranged from neighbours (opened the door of my building once to find a man I'd only met once before waiting on the steps for me), to my ex-landlady (her neighbour's scary son turned up at my new flat one evening demanding to be let in) and hotel staff (I received direct calls to my room from guides and fellow guests trying their luck more than once ).

It's irritating at best and downright threatening at worst. I would encourage travellers who don't want to be hassled with this to - gently in the case of friends and acquaintances, more firmly with hotel staff - insist that their phone numbers and addresses are not passed on. And that strangers aren't let into your building/flat/room by some kindly soul! It's a little tricky as it seems to me to be a cultural thing, with the people concerned obviously thinking they were being helpful. But ultimately safety and feeling safe is more important, so be tactful but firm!

• Updated Feb 10, 2008

BlueLlama Used To Live Here!

“Make mine a pisco sour”

Have you been to Brazil?