"Stunning Edifice was my Childhood Playground" Llandaff Cathedral Tip by SabrinaSummerville

Llandaff Cathedral, Cardiff: 7 reviews and 23 photos

When I was a child I spent most Summers in Cardiff, visiting my Aunt and my cousins. In those days the cousins in Wales, Helen and Sheila, were among my best friends and some of my fondest memories are of the times I spent with them.

My cousins lived in the very pretty area of Llandaff, which is a City within a City. Llandaff itself was considered a village until the Cathedral was built, and then it was named a City in its own right.

I played here as a child - sacrilegious kissing chases around the grounds and hide and seek behind the gravestones.

In February 2008 I returned for the first time in 20 or more years. This time I was accompanied by my 21 year old cousin Sam, the son of my beloved cousin Helen. We wandered the grounds together as I took pic after pic, and saw a side of this magnificent building that I never recalled from childhood. It's an architect's paradise. As i wandered among the gravestones I saw an eagle perched on a broken Celtic cross. As I lifted my camera he flew high into the trees, later landing on another headstone which allowed me a lucky pic.

The Cathedral itself houses the very famous sculpture of Christ in Majesty by Epstein. Sadly, the doors were locked this time and I was unable to take a pic.

This place is so well woth a visit for many many reasons.

Address: Llandaff, Cardiff CF5 2YF
Directions: About 2 miles NW of City Centre by the River Taff
Phone: +44 (0)29 2056 4554
Website: http://www.llandaffcathedral.org.uk/

• Written Feb 7, 2008

SabrinaSummerville Visits Here Frequently!

“"I am of Ireland....Come dance with me in Ireland", W.B. Yeats”

Have you been to Cardiff?