Galileo: "Italian near Piccadilly Circus" Assaggetti Tip by Dabs

Angie, Sue, Jo, Carl, Gillian and Kat
      Jo and Sue
      Jen and Iris
    by Dabs

This was my 2nd visit to Galileo, the 1st time was when we "katnapped" Kat (keida84) on her 1st trip to London in January 2006 and had a lovely meal with Jen (Jenniflower) before heading off to see The Phantom of the Opera. We thought this was a good central location to have another small girls night out on our return visit in January 2008 with Jen (Jenniflower), Sue (sue_stone), Iris (iris2002), Jo (jo104), Angie (angiebabe) and a couple of out of town visitors, Gillian (gillianmclaughlin) and Carl (camcorderman).

The location is excellent for a pre theater dinner for those theaters located along Haymarket, it's just down the street from the madness of Piccadilly Circus, try to locate the Haymarket exit from the tube station so you don't wander in a circle outside trying to locate the right street like we did.

We stayed for several hours and didn't feel rushed, I know that's more of an American phenomenon to try and turn tables quickly but I always appreciate it when it happens even abroad.

Favorite Dish: I was really feeling the exchange rate on this trip, at practically 2 for 1$, I appreciated being able to find good food at a non chain restaurant for reasonable prices, especially given the touristy nature of this area. I ordered the Tagliatelle with porcini mushrooms and cream (8.95) and the tiramisu (5.95), both were good and the portion sizes adequate.

The menu is Tuscan Italian, lots of meat, fish, pasta and pizza selections, many under 10. You can also order off the set menu, 2 courses for 9.95, 3 courses for 13.95, any time of the day, not just pre theater.

Address: 71 Haymarket
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Nearest Tube, Piccadilly Circus. Near Charles II St.
Phone: 020 7839 3939
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 4
Theme: Italian

• Updated Feb 6, 2008

Dabs Visits Here Frequently!

“Never put off til tomorrow what you can do today”

Have you been to London?