"A judd-ering experience" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Off The Beaten Path Tip by iandsmith

State of Tasmania Off The Beaten Path: 55 reviews and 170 photos

Abundant colours of the foliage

Abundant colours of the foliage
  • A judd-ering experience - State of Tasmania
      Stunning vista over Lake Judd
      The vision splended
      Still Mount Anne taunts me
    by iandsmith

The walk over was through gorgeous alpine vegetation with an abundance of colours. Here and there the occasional small tarn added to spectacle.
At the top I decided that if I went a short way over I might get some shots looking in the opposite direction.
I neared the edge and, in about 6 paces, my world changed. With each of the last six steps my lower jaw fell progressively further down. The view, as you may have surmised, was stunning. The epic sheer cliff dropped before me into Lake Judd (pics 3 & 4), one of the truly great unsung sights in Australia. Beyond there was another similar mountain called Lake Sarah-Jane. It too had a tarn and, when I later checked, there were no photos of it on the internet. Here, so close to a road, are some of the gems of Tasmania yet they're rarely visited by photographers it seems, unlike Cradle Mountain, The Walls of Jerusalem and Lake Oberon.
I've pencilled it in for a future excursion.
The pictures I took, of course, only give you a part of what it is like to really be there but I hope you enjoy them anyway.
After that experience I headed back towards Hobart and, miraculously got my phone back for I had left it on the mountain and someone had handed it in to New Norfolk police. When a friend rang he got the story and rang Rosemarie who told me when I phoned her with the new phone I'd just purchased and for which I kindly got an immediate refund.

• Updated Feb 3, 2008

Comments

iandsmith Visits Here Frequently!

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to State of Tasmania?