Zizzi: "Wood-fired pizzas in good Italian chain" Top 5 Page for this destination Zizzi Tip by toonsarah

Zizzi, London: 12 reviews and 20 photos

Our lively party
      Our lively party
    by toonsarah
      Pasta with spinach and wild mushrooms
    by toonsarah

Zizzi is a small chain of Italian restaurants at the upper end of the scale for such chains. They pride themselves on cooking all their pizzas in a traditional wood-fired oven - so on a recent visit, what did I do but order pasta?!

The food was reasonable, I felt, without being exciting; the house wine was good, and good value (just as well, as we had a fair bit!); the service was pleasant, if almost too brisk at times, though one order was wrong when it arrived and had to be replaced; and the atmosphere just right for our party - a group of old and new friends on a Friday night out. I don't think it would be so good for a romantic meal though as the room is quite large and noisy.

Favorite Dish: I ate a fresh tasting seafood salad to start, and followed with penne cooked with wild mushrooms and spinach. The latter also had a pleasant fresh taste, but I'd have welcomed a stronger flavour. I found a little salt improved it a lot (I don't normally add salt to my meals) but only realised halfway through my meal, when my friend pointed it out, that we'd not been offered parmesan, which on reflection would have made all the difference. I don't know if that was an oversight, given that we were a large group and mostly eating pizzas, but another time I would make sure I asked for some.

Prices were reasonable - we paid about 30 per head, but that included a lot of wine, and some people had desserts as well.

Address: 33 Charlotte Street, London, W1T 1RR
Website: http://www.zizzi.co.uk/

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Feb 27, 2011

toonsarah Lives Here!

“I slept on the strange pillows of my wanderlust (Joni Mitchell, "Amelia")”

Have you been to London?