"Hey, tourist office: do some benchmark :-)" Top 5 Page for this destination Darmstadt Favorite Tip by Trekki

Darmstadt Favorites: 10 reviews and 14 photos

Now how customer friendly are these hours ?
by Trekki

Favorite thing: Oh well, what can I say….. in my humble opinion a tourist office that is closed on Sundays and open on Saturdays until 16:00 only is not necessarily what I call visitor friendly. But what did I expect? It is no secret that I don’t like the town much and especially the ones responsible for tourism. But I am not alone with this feeling. To quote an employee of a municipal/public office: “If the ones of Darmstadt City Marketing would understand their job, bus loads of visitors would stop every day on Mathildenhöhe”. That remark made me smile, especially since I met him during an official appointment in his office.

Recently I played the innocent visitor and asked for information material or brochures. They offered me a simple bilingual two-page brochure with city map, but for 2 €, which I did not buy. In addition I have asked several “test” questions but the answers were…. Very general to say least.

Just as a comparsion: Speyer, Marburg, Heidelberg and other important and interesting towns I know do open their tourist offices on Sundays as well. They have free brochures, leaflets and maps and are usually happy to hand them over to the visitors. For example: I got a lot of material from the one in Worms and the woman told me so much about interesting places to visit and also asked me a lot to get an idea of what I might be interested to see. The tourist offices in southern Bavaria are similar in their offers and attitude. In Schongau (region Pfaffenwinkel) and in Oberammergau (region Ammergauer Alpen) for example I also received a lot of information, free maps and brochures, leaflets and knowledgeable answers to my specific questions. When I asked if I could pay at least something into their thank-you-box they smiled and said “Oh no, that is why we are here for”. This is what I call a visitor friendly attitude.

What would you expect from a tourist office? Definitely help and free information material. If so, no chance in Darmstadt. Better to consult a website before. But then, Darmstadt City Marketing has changed their website almost twice per year without redirection, which is why I gave up linking them in any of my reviews. They also removed their English section, which, in a city that prides itself being a “centre of science”, hence having a lot of foreign people working here or being here on business trips is … a joke.

In a way I can proudly say that my own page is the most extensive information about the town in www, including sophisticated research and linking.

The tourist office, btw, is located at Luisenplatz – on the left hand side in Luisencentre, the shopping centre.

© Ingrid D., 2008; update October 2013: wording only.

• Updated Oct 16, 2013

Comments

Trekki

“Don't spend your life playing the role that others have chosen for you ;-)”

Have you been to Darmstadt?