"World's largest Red Light District I" Red Light District - De Wallen Tip by Rupanworld

Red Light District - De Wallen, Amsterdam: 151 reviews and 181 photos

Amsterdam's Red Light District (RLD) is a must visit for all tourists. At Hamburg, I had always heard that ther RLD in Amsterdam is much bigger than the Reeperbahn in Hamburg which is the second largest in the world. I couldn't really imagine and just out of curiosity, I wanted to pay a visit although I was a bit concerned being a single woman traveller. My experience there, turned all speculation, all fear, all curiosity into a very beautiful memory, one that perhaps I'm going to remember all life. The experience was so different that I can really write a book on it but cannot explain. And unfortunately I could not take any photo as you are not allowed to. I would have loved to. the entire RLD is situated on the side of a canal and is composed of small dark alleys first you might be afraif of venturing into, but once you get the courage to go in, you'll like it. And believe me, its more tourism than anything else. Along both sides of the dark alleys are small windows one after another (actually more like glass doors to let clients in). Beautiful young ladies dressed (or not) in the minimum imaginable clothing, sometimes even light reflecting bikinis stand on the windows in different poses and the red-pinkish light in the room creates all the environment.

Address: Enge Kerksteeg 3, 1012 GV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Directions: Centrum, De Wallen
Phone: +31 6 13572799
Website: http://www.amsterdam.info/red-light-district/

• Written Feb 2, 2008

Comments

Rupanworld

“Memories are like footprints on the sands of time.”

Have you been to Amsterdam?