"Awosting Falls" Top 5 Page for this destination New Paltz Things to Do Tip by moiraistyx

New Paltz Things to Do: 38 reviews and 98 photos

Awosting Falls

Awosting Falls
      Rich in the ice cave
      Rolling waters
      10 foot long icicles
      Black and White Ice Patterns
    by moiraistyx

For many years, I have been hiking in Minnewaska State Park. It wasn't until recently that I ventured off of my usual trail that looped around Lake Minnewaska. Rich and I were off of work and lucky for me, we decided to hike the High Peter's Kill path and lucky for me we missed the turn off and ended up at the lower parking lot near the park entrance. Rich wanted to just walk back down to the Peter's Kill parking lot via the road, but I talked him into taking the Awosting Falls path. We are both so happy that we did. The path was full of snow and much colder than the Peter's Kill path that we had just come off of, but holy smokes was it beautiful. One of the things we got to see was a small cave nearly covered by and filled we long icicles. Rich was daring and ducked inside the cave. I wasn't nearly as brave. After the cave we came to a beautiful, beautiful waterfall. We tried to take a bunch of pictures, but it was so cold my hands felt like they were gonna crack. I took the opportunity to take some black and whites of some great ice patterns while we were at the falls. Rich again was brave and hiked up next to the falls and stood up on some rocks to take some pics. The rest of the Awosting Falls carriage way was filled with great scenery. I am looking forward to seeing the falls in the warmer months and being able to sit and eat a picnic lunch. I might even be brave enough to swim there, if its allowed.

Address: P.O. Box 893, New Paltz, NY 12561
Directions: Take route 44/55 or 299 west to 44/55 then go west. The park entrance will be on the left hand side.
Phone: (845) 255-0752
Website: http://www.lakeminnewaska.org/state.html

• Updated Jan 30, 2008

Comments

moiraistyx Visits Here Frequently!

moiraistyx

“Engaged to member haunted1030 on 1/1/11”

Have you been to New Paltz?