"The Hartz Peak experience" Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Off The Beaten Path Tip by iandsmith

State of Tasmania Off The Beaten Path: 55 reviews and 170 photos

A pool en route, you can feel the cold

A pool en route, you can feel the cold
      Arve Falls
      Delicate blooms
      Alone on the range
  • The Hartz Peak experience - State of Tasmania

Hartz Peak. I was almost mesmerised by the thought that I might be able to climb it. It was one of those places that I dreamt about but deemed out of my ability. When I found out it was only a 4 1/2 hour return walk I couldn't get up there fast enough.......well, to the carpark anyway. It was there that I was reminded of Tasmania's fickle weather and what happens when it rips across a saddle. The motorhome rocked, the clouds scudded across the sky, intermittent drizzle spattered the windscreen. I stepped outside after putting my windcheater on. Within minutes my hands were nearly frozen. It was summer after all, what would you expect!
It was abject misery but I did the Arve Falls walk anyway before nightfall.
I had the place to myself. Fully understandable under the circumstances but I soldiered on and saw the falls (pic 2), a trickle going over some rocks but reasonably photogenic.
I am continually amazed out how plants cling to life in these inhospitable places but cling they do, as shown in my photos. The exercise takes around 20 to 30 minutes, depending on how many photos you take.
I determined to return early the next day.

• Updated Jan 30, 2008

Comments

iandsmith Visits Here Frequently!

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Have you been to State of Tasmania?