"Philippe-Auguste Wall (l'Enceinte): Part X" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint Eustache & Les Halles Tip by BeatChick
Saint Eustache & Les Halles, Paris: 15 reviews and 34 photos
We continue our tour in the 2nd arrondissement in the area behind the old Les Halles marketplace and behind Eglise St-Eustache on the rue Etienne Marcel at the museum of the Tour Jean sans Peur (Tower of Jean without Fear).
1) Nice photo of the tower juxtaposed against the wall.
2) You can see a portion of the wall standing next to the medieval Tour Jean sans Peur located at 22, rue Etienne Marcel.
3) Wall holding up building or vice versa.
4) Tour Jeans sans Peur - Jean sans Peur built this structure in order to evade his enemy, in particular his cousin, Duke Louis d'Orléans, King Charles IV brother whom he did eventually assassinate. He holed himself up in the 4th floor of the tower and when his enemies came too close he was able to escape out of a window via the adjoining Philippe-Auguste wall.
5) Plaque on the Tour Jean sans Peur; it briefly states:
Tower named Jean sans Peur, ancient Hôtel d?Artois, erected on the wall of Philippe-Auguste.
Here are 2 more locations we didn't get to that day as we ran out of time:
rue du Jour
rue du Louvre
Photos: November 2007 & February 2006
More Off The Beaten Path in Paris (85)
More Reviews (291)
- See All Musée de l'Orangerie - Nymphéas (Water...
- See All People Watching while Dining at the...
- See All Interactive Maps for Paris
- See All Hotels in Montmartre near Metro Stations
- See All Chromatic Bis
- See All Leaving Lost Belongings in an Obvious...
- See All Saving Money with Movie Passes
- See All Anthony Bourdain's Absinthe Bar!
- See All Gold Ring Scam
- See All Joggers in Paris
- See All Leather Boots of all Persuasions
- See All Kissing Oscar's Grave
BeatChick's Related Pages
Have you been to Paris?Share Your Travels