"Must Do: Dog Sledding" Top 5 Page for this destination Spitsbergen Things to Do Tip by Donna_in_India

Spitsbergen Things to Do: 2 reviews and 2 photos

Dogsledding in Spitsbergen
by Donna_in_India

We were excited about our first excursion in Spitsbergen. We were going dog sledding. We were picked up at our hotel and taken to the dog kennels a short distance out of town.

My husband and I were going on one sled and the guide and a Norwegian lady were going on another. We were given heavy clothes and boots, the dogs were harnessed, we had a quick briefing on driving the sleds, and we were on our way.

We were pulled by 5 dogs all of whom were named after explorers. In our group of 5 we had two brothers who were only 9 months old. They were just raring to go. (In the summer months, the dogs pull sleds on wheels so they get exercise.) It was so cold! The temperature was only 1 degree C and the wind was really blowing.

My husband did most of the driving but I took a turn as well. (It was warmer in the sled, but the view was mostly dog butts!) A short time into our drive I saw my first reindeer. Wow – it didn’t look anything like Rudolph but I was excited anyway. It was white and blended so well into the snow.

We spent two hours driving seeing only snow and mountains. We arrived back at the kennels where we got to visit with all the other dogs for a while before going back to the hotel. (I have done a dog sledding excursion before in Alaska, but this was the real deal - a hundred times better!)

We booked our excursion through www.spitsbergentravel.no/eng/.

• Updated Jan 23, 2008

More Things to Do in Spitsbergen (1)

Comments

Donna_in_India

“I didn't know we were making memories. I just thought we were having fun.”

Have you been to Spitsbergen?