Various: "Vegetarians in Iasi" Iasi Restaurant Tip by FaerieRhona
Iasi Restaurants: 15 reviews and 10 photos
Ok, so I always knew it might be difficult being a vegetarian in Iasi, and my reviews will be coloured by this! I travel to Iasi several times a year on business, but as my time is limited have only tried a few places out as they need to be near the Unirea hotel
A few general tips, however
1. Cascaval Pane - the fried cheese - is available in many places, even if it's not on the menu. It's dull, fatty and heavy, but you can only eat so many potatoes and vegetables!
2. Ciorba and Borsch - even when they say they are vegetable, are often made with meat stock. In most restaurants they will tell you they are vegetarian, even when they turn out not to be
3. Always tell them you are vegetarian, otherwise you may find they have put bacon on your peasant's potatoes, for example
4. If there is no vegetarian option, ask. Sometimes they have one. Usually it's grilled vegetables and potatoes
5. Go in the summer. Most places have fresh local deliveries of salads and vegetables and they are just gorgeous! I spent 3 weeks here in the summer, and just ate salads and hot breads. Absolutely wonderful.
6. Don't ask if the cheese is vegetarian - they will look at you like you are a freak. Accept hard cheeses are made with animal rennet and avoid them if you are a strict vegetarian.
7. The new large Carrefour has a vegetarian section (tiny, but there) if you are going self-catering
8. If you are vegan go self-catering, or you really will go hungry or get bored of the same meals everywhere
Favorite Dish: Favourite meals in Iasi in general are the salads in summer. Just lovely
More Restaurants in Iasi (3)
Have you been to Iasi?Share Your Travels