Trattoria Roma: "Best Italian in Old Town" Trattoria Roma - Closed Tip by jenn5179

Trattoria Roma - Closed, Chicago: 3 reviews and 9 photos

This is probably my favorite Italian restaurant in the city.....

The restaurant was started by a guy from Rome and his wife Laura (who still runs it since he died in 2001). Just like in Rome, you get handwritten menus that change daily.

The atmosphere is great - and in the summer the sidewalk seating is a crowd favorite, so if you have your heart set on sitting outside, go early, or be prepared for a little wait.

The place is tastefully decorated, has a bar downstairs, and can get a little noisey when its busy...

Favorite Dish: I have too many favorites, as I have eaten there so many times!

My favorite appetizer is the grilled calamari - a good sized piece of calamari that has never been frozen, cooked in a little olive oil, salt, pepper, etc

My favorite pizza is the Margherita - basic, but its a really thin crust and just so good!

My favorite pasta is the ravioli - artichoke, squash, asparagus, they are all so good, and the light tomato cream sauce is also fabulous. They are fresh, and usually only have 1 type of ravioli that day.

My favorite meat dish is the ossobucco - prepared with the peas and carrots - my husband just loves this dish, however, for those who don't do red meat, I say the whitefish is always a great dish.

Address: 1535 N. Wells
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Wells Street, just south of North Avenue, across the street from Zanies
Phone: 312-644-7907
Price: US$21-30
Rating: 5
Theme: Italian

• Updated Apr 4, 2011

More Restaurants in Chicago (1)

jenn5179 Lives Here!

Have you been to Chicago?