"La Sagrada Familia" Sagrada Familia Tip by Marpessa

Sagrada Familia, Barcelona: 476 reviews and 1,080 photos

The Nativity facade

The Nativity facade
    by Marpessa
      Close up of the Nativity facade
    by Marpessa
      Me in front of the Nativity facade
    by Marpessa
      Close up of the Passion facade
      The Passion facade
    by Marpessa

Again, during the hop on/hop off tour my friends and I stopped here. However since it was about 30 degrees, sunny blue skies and huge lines to get into the basilica (people everywhere in general)... we decided just to have a look around the outside.

The basilica is unfinished and is still being built today, the money that people pay for entrance to the basilica contributes to its building costs (it is dependent on visitors/tourists to be completed - a bit sorry that I did not contribute). I think that I actually like that it is not finished, and that I have been able to see it (the outside of it) this way. You see so many landmarks in cities/towns that were built and finished so long ago... and here is one blossoming before our eyes.

Construction of the basilica started back in 1882, and again (like many things in Barcelona) it is (originally) the work of Antoni Gaudi. Since his death there have been a further 6 architects who have taken on the great challenge to finish the basilica, using versions of the original plans of Gaudi and combining that with modern ideas.

On the outisde of the basilica there are three different facades. The Passion facade (facing west) is the more modern looking of the three, it is smooth, there is a lot of space which highlights the sculptures, yet the sculptures have very hard expressions. The Nativity facade (east), has so much detail in it, every space is filled, the sculptures features look soft and caring - it looks quite beautiful. The last facade is the Glory facade (south), which is not finished yet - and to be honest I can not remember what it looks like.

I recommend a trip to La Sagrada Familia. Hopefully when you go, there will be less crowds, or you will have more patience to wait than I did :).

To see more photos look at my 'More Photos of La Sagrada Familia' travelogue.

Address: Carrer de Mallorca 401
Directions: Metro: Line 2 or 5 Station: SagradaFamilia
Phone: 93 207 30 31
Website: http://www.sagradafamilia.org

Review Helpfulness: 4 out of 5 stars

• Updated Jan 17, 2008

Comments

Marpessa

“Brave New World”

Have you been to Barcelona?