"The Acropolis of Athens" Acropolis Tip by Kaspian

Acropolis, Athens: 190 reviews and 352 photos

Acropolis - Parthenon (2007)
by Kaspian

Acropolis - Parthenon (2007)
    by Kaspian
      Acropolis - Propylaea (2007)
    by Kaspian
      Acropolis - Erechtheum "Maidens" (2007)
    by Kaspian
      Acropolis - Spare Parts (2007)
      Acropolis (2007)
    by Kaspian

"Great Zeus!," I have less than three hours before I have to meet some friends for supper and in that small time span I must see the Acropolis, get back to my hotel, shower, shave, and get a taxi to rendezvous for our meal. I cannot in good conscious visit Athens (or even Greece for that matter) and not tour the Acropolis. I'd never forgive myself. ...Nor would my archaeologist brother who would probably call me "stupid" for the rest of our lives.
The owner of my hotel points me in the direction I need to go. I head off at a jogging pace. Only two blocks later I pass a sign that says "Odeon of Herodotus". "Looks promising," I think to myself. And suddenly I am at the Acropolis entrance gates. "Thank the gods!"
I buy a ticket, take it to the gate, and I'm inside the leafy lower grounds of the Acropolis. A few stairs up and the massive marble columns of the Propylaea rise before me! Moments in life like this will bring tears to your eyes--times when you are suddenly confronted with places you have seen thousands of photographs of and have read about in books your whole life but never imagined you'd actually see.
There is historic evidence that people have lived and worshipped on this spot since 6000 BC. That's a long time ago! A temple to worship Athena was first built here around 550 BC. Invading Persians destroyed it but reconstruction began during "The Golden Age of Athens" (460–430 BC). These are the buildings we see still see here now.
The poor Parthenon--it's crumbling to bits! It is one of the world's most recognizable buildings but even a quick glance shows you what photographers don't want you to see; the entire building is being held up from the inside with scaffolding. That saddened me somewhat. I hope they find a way to preserve it properly.
Don't miss the "Porch of Maidens" statues at the Erechtheum! What a beautiful link to our human past.
The entire Acropolis grounds take only about a half-hour to walk around--even pausing to take pictures.
I head back to my hotel satisfied that I'd seen it all and I still have plenty of time to get ready before dinner.

Directions: City center