"Taxis in Panama City" Top 5 Page for this destination Panamá City Transportation Tip by bilgeez
Panamá City Transportation: 49 reviews and 27 photos
Taxis in Panama City are plentiful, however here are a few things you should know:
1) Although by law, the drivers are supposed to stop and pick up a fare and take them where they want to go in the city, many drivers are choosy, custom is, if they stop, you have to ask them to take you somewhere, if they don´t want to take you they usually drive off without a word. Even if you get in first, they will tell you to get out if they don´t want to go where you want them to take you. So, play the game. It may be frustrating some times, but that is how it is here. Most drivers are accomodating, helpful and friendly, but some are not and are very rude or wlll try to scam you. Be careful!
2) Don´t go with cab drivers that are anxious to take you. If you are at one of the Malls or one of the Hotels and a driver approaches you and asks if you want a cab, do not take it! He may be a set-up man for a robbery or worse, at very least, he is going to way over-charge you. For most trips in Panama City, you should not pay more than $3.50 to go anywhere, if you are say, at the Hotel Continental or Marriott on Via España and want to go to Multicentro Mall, the fare should not be more than $1.75. If a driver wants more than that, find another one! Ask before you get in the cab how much the fare will be if you don´t know.
3) If you are at Albrook Mall in the evening it may be very difficult to find a cab at that time, you have to be patient and persistent, especially if you have several packages with you, many cab drivers don´t want to wait for you to load your packages or to get out and open the trunk for you if their trunk (boot) release is not working in the car.
4) Cabs may not take you to Howard, Arrijan, Chorrera or Coronado. It is over the canal and they don´t want to go there, you may have to take a bus or hire a limo to take you there.
5) Cabs will charge a lot more to take you Tocumen Airport. They can do this, so if possible, try to take a shuttle or bus to Tocumen Airport if you can, it will be much cheaper.
Type: Car/Motor Home
More Transportation in Panamá City (2)
More Reviews (36)
- See All Italian, Panamanian and Seafood
- See All Downtown Hotel
- See All Liquor Store and More!
- See All Other Panamanian Traditional Dress
bilgeez's Related Pages
Have you been to Panamá City?Share Your Travels