The White Swan: "The White Swan - near Chancery Lane" Top 5 Page for this destination White Swan, Chancery Lane Tip by sue_stone

White Swan, Chancery Lane, London: 2 reviews and 8 photos

Pheasant

Pheasant
      Braised Oxtail
      Chocolate pudding
    by sue_stone

My usual dining companion (aka AM) recently started working in a new part of town, and came home one evening raving about a bar called the White Swan just up the road from his office. Apparently it had a great sounding restaurant too. Ok, I was sold, and a table was booked for dinner the following week.

Meeting AM at the office we wandered up to the White Swan for a drink before our meal. I immediately liked this modern pub, with its welcoming bar area, complete with a massive mirror and a good variety of mounted animal heads. There is a small mezzanine level over the bar, offering additional seating, while the restaurant is up on the first floor.

I was equally impressed with the restaurant. The room is stylishly decorated, with wood and caramel tones, attractive (but not so comfortable) chairs and although there are plenty of windows it still had a very warm feel about it, which was perfect on the cold, wet evening we visited. Oh, and it has a mirrored ceiling too. Service was very friendly and professional, yet relaxed, which was perfect for the environment. There is an impressive wine list, with a great range of wines from around the world and a good selection by the glass as well.

Favorite Dish: To start, AM had the Braised oxtail with parsnip puree and roast garlic, and I had a couple of tastes. Loved the presentation and the comforting flavours. Main course was excellent - we both ordered the Roast breast of pheasant with boudin noir, creamed bacon and savoy cabbage, chestnuts, fondant potato, caramelised apples and Calvados jus. It sounds a bit much doesn't it, but it was superb. All of the facets of the dish came together deliciously - I even enjoyed the Boudin noir, which is blood sausage.

Dessert was less successful. We ordered the Steamed chocolate pudding with vanilla bean ice cream, and the Plum tarte tatin. The choc pudding was nothing special, and the tarte tatin was unfortunately undercooked - the pastry was half raw. We had been warned that it would take at least 15 minutes to prepare, so I was a bit surprised when our desserts arrived sooner than that.

Our waitress was devastated when she saw the half eaten tarte tatin and immediately knew what the problem was. She apologised and didn't charge us for it, nor one of the glasses of wine - though that may have just been an error! Loved the White Swan.

Address: 108 Fetter Lane London, EC4A 1EN
Theme: Eclectic/International
Website: http://www.thewhiteswanlondon.com/

Review Helpfulness: 5 out of 5 stars

• Written Jan 11, 2008

Comments

sue_stone Used To Live Here!

Have you been to London?