"Never Go to Downtown Johannesburg Alone" Johannesburg Warnings Or Dangers Tip by longsanborn

Johannesburg Warnings and Dangers: 69 reviews and 34 photos

I was warned many times by the meeting organizer, friends, and friends of friends that I must never ever to go to downtown Johannesburg alone. They told me that it is not safe for a foreigner and tourist like me; the crime rate is very high and violence relating to petty crimes are equally high, they say. Because of all these warnings (being human), my curiousity got the best of me and I wanted to know what the fuss was all about.

Anyway, I eventually managed to persuade a friend of a friend that he should take me to downtown Johannesburg. He only agreed to take me to a district close to the downtown area, on top of a hill overlooking the sprawling buildings and houses that stretches all beyond the horizon.

So, that was as close as I can get to the dangerous downtown of Johannesburg! :-)

• Updated Jan 11, 2008

“Learn to get in touch with silence within yourself & know that everything in this life has purpose (E Kubler-Ross)”

Have you been to Johannesburg?