"Berlin Customs/Post! Bring your wallet!" Berlin Warnings Or Dangers Tip by foxy1010

Berlin Warnings and Dangers: 132 reviews and 94 photos

Received a Christmas present from Australia about a week before Xmas. Had a note from Berlin Customs sent to my hostel informing me to come to the nearby customs depot to pick up my package....no problem so far.

1. Go up to front desk and give them my notice. They check it and then direct me to another waiting room!

2. In the waiting room is approximately 25 people. I wait for 30 minutes.

3. Finally my name is called and im all excited about getting my gift. To my shock they hand me a Stanley knife and ask me to open it up in front of them - a Xmas present! I open it and they take out the contents and note what they are - great i know what im getting a week before Xmas - some surprise!

4. Without any warning, they took the box away and left me standing there with no explanation. Two young German guys who spoke English speak to them for me so i can get some explanation.

5. They tell me that i am required to pay a customs import tax! on a Xmas present! 20%. Unbelievable.........

6. Told i need to sit down again why i wait for them to calculate value of tax. Wait another 30 minutes. Total cost 19 euros.....someone takes the invoice around to a separate cash office where i have to pay. Obviously not expecting to have to pay for a present in the mail, i have no cash.

7. Try to get some explanation from customs as to why i have to pay an import tax on a gift i did not ask for. They informed me that at their central office in Frankfurt, SOME packages are sent to regional customs office for taxes and some are not!!!! GREAT, a random tax.......i ask as to why it is a random tax......THEY CAN NOT TELL ME. I had previously received hundreds of dollars in packages from Australia earlier in the year, but did not have to pay customs tax - why was that the case? "We do not know" was the deadpan reply.

8. Come back next day to pay and try to get further explanation....none. Lost my cool and told them to go F$ themselves....

othercontact: nfox@hotmail.com