Le Train Bleu: "VT Meet at Le Train Bleu!" Top 5 Page for this destination Le Train Bleu Tip by BeatChick

Le Train Bleu, Paris: 9 reviews and 20 photos

Pixfied, Tsarina, mittnic, mariev
      Pixfied, Tsarina, mittnic, mariev
      Saucisson Chaud de Lyon Pistache
      Pave de Saumon Rôti
      Gateau au Chocolat
      Entrance to Le Train Bleu
    by BeatChick

Because I was doing research on a book involving film settings in Paris and because various people wanted to meet up with me from VT & Fodor's, I opted to have our VT meeting/GTG at Le Train Bleu for 12 people at the "Nikita" tables. Gorgeous setting of gilded ceiling with murals depicting scenes where le Train Bleu once made its run.

I asked one of the servers if we were sitting at the same tables as in the assassination scene in Nikita & he confirmed. BTW, I didn't realize that Milla Jovovich was married to Nikita's director, Luc Besson. Found that out from the bartender at L'Hôtel; but they're now divorced.

It was fascinating & fantastic to meet shrimp56, tsarina, Mariev, Pixfield & mittnic from VT along with Nikki & Michael Osman from Fodor's as well as a couple that strolled in looking for a table. We'd had a few people drop out so we just invited this couple along.

Michael Osman & his partner, Scott, are everything you've read about and more! Both are charming, sweet, funny, patient; I can see exactly why they are great with kids and families. Let me just say that Michael Osman is worth at least twice as much as he charges. But Michael is kind and charges the paltry amount that he does because he wants to ensure that he can help the families, which is really, really nice. He is humble, too! When Nikki remarked that it was wonderful meeting the famous Michael Osman, that she'd read so many great things about him, he quipped "and they're not all written by my mother". He's just too funny.

It was great meeting everyone else, too. The evening turned out to be a 5 hour event with all of us swapping stories & quips across the table. Just an amazing night overall!

Michael & I were supposed to tromp around Montmartre late at night my last night but because we got out of Le Train Bleu well past midnight that proved an impossibility.

Favorite Dish: Despite being told that the food is generally mediocre I found it to be one of the best dining experiences this trip. 10 of the 12 of us settled on the 44? menu rejane (details can be found on the website).

I loved my entrée of saucisson chaud, which is a Lyonnaise sausage with potatoes and pistachios. It was fantastic.

For the main dish I tried the wonderful roast salmon dish which came with an orange chicory sauce. The menu description said there were cocoa chips in the dish, which made me waffle on my decision, but I neither saw nor tasted the cocoa chips so it was a very subtle flavoring. It was faboo!

Pixfield gave me a taste of his veal blanquette and it was equally fantastic; in essence, you couldn't go wrong with any of the dishes from the menu rejane.

Dessert was "dessert of the day", Gateau au Chocolat that had the texture of warm chocolate mousse with a scoop of ice cream floating on top. Michael joked that it was an inverted ice cream sundae, and he was right!

Photos: February 2006

Address: 20, boulevard Diderot 75012 Paris
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Inside Gare de Lyon

Métro: Gare de Lyon (Ligne 1)
RER: Gare de Lyon (Lignes A2/A4, D2/D4)

othercontact: 01 43 43 97 96 (fax)
Phone: 01 44 75 76 76
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 5
Theme: French
Website: http://www.le-train-bleu.com/

• Updated Jan 12, 2008

BeatChick Visits Here Frequently!

“When good Americans die, they go to Paris. ~ Oscar Wilde”

Have you been to Paris?