"Harlem - still quite unknown to most visitors" Harlem Tip by King_Golo

Harlem, New York City: 24 reviews and 26 photos

Harlem probably still suffers from its history. Notorious for being a dangerous place with a hell lot of crime, the quarter was generally not visited by tourists for years and years. I remember my mum's stories from going there in 1971... she and her two friends were the only white people in the area and were looked at quite strangely. Back then, Harlem was a poor part of New York - nowadays it is a vibrant and exciting place! All around Columbia University with its British-looking campus buildings, Harlem buzzes all day long. It's a multiethnic neighbourhood like so many in NYC, mostly inhabited by Asians and Latinos, and therefore a good place to feel the melting pot in action.
I went to Harlem to visit a friend's friend, and she gave me a walking tour through some of the streets. While I enjoyed being told many interesting anecdotes about the quarter (Brid has lived there since 1993!), my most vivid memory is the view from Harlem's waterfront towards New Jersey. The sun was just setting, it was a warm and pleasant evening and we were standing on the shore of Hudson River looking over the vast masses of water... Unfortunately, I had left my camera at Brid's home, so no pictures of this walk. Thus, it's best to try it yourselves!

Address: Harlem, New York, NY
Directions: Harlem
Phone: 9562904512
Website: http://nymag.com/realestate/articles/neighborhoods/harlem.htm

• Written Jan 6, 2008

Comments

King_Golo

“A rolling stone gathers no moss”

Have you been to New York City?