Da Vinci: "Disappointing" Da Vinci Tip by Aquarama

Da Vinci, Kiev: 3 reviews and 2 photos

I have to say that I had read the reviews from VT and other guides, praising this traditional restaurant which enjoys a "loyal following of businessmen, diplomats and models"... I have to say I expected much more. The fisherman house/davinci basement deco is interesting but a bit over the top... The atmosphere is a little touristy like one could find in little Italy in NYC.
As far as the food is concerned, I think the italian chef has been away from home for too long... the mozarella di buffala was tasteless, the olive oil was obviously not italian and certainly not nuevo. I then tried the risoto "Milan style"... the meat was not bad, but the whole dish was swimming in oil (again... not the italian one).
I thought I would then cheer myself up with some lemoncello - and here again - what a joke... it was a thick lemon liquor, which was nowhere near Italian standards.
A chef like this in Italy would not last long... which may explain why he is not working in Italy.
The only star I would give to this pityful experience would be for the staff... they were all top notch. Very friendly and subtle.

Address: Evropeyska Sq.
Price Comparison: more expensive than average
Directions: Millenium business center, near the Dnipro Hotel
Phone: 229-0059
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 2
Theme: Italian

• Written Jan 5, 2008

“200K Miles a year... at a minimum”

Ranked Member