Azul: "Steaks that even tempted the vegetarian" Azul - CLOSED Tip by typhoidmary

Azul - CLOSED, New York City: 1 reviews and 0 photos

My friends and I were wandering around the Lower East Side in December and stumbled upon Azul, an Argentine restaurant. Now, the only meat I eat is fish, but the smell of these steaks made me drool. The interior is very cozy and the ceiling is plaster with pictures of nude and semi nude women from magazines circa 1980, which can keep your male dining companions occupied between courses. The non-meat entrees are less-than-Argentine, but that doesn't stop them from being fabulous. I had grilled Atlantic halibut, which was perfectly prepared. My friends had the smoky skirt steak and spare ribs, which are served on sizzling, cast iron hot plates, & had food-gasms. At the time they only had a beer and wine license, but the selection of both won't allow you to miss the hard stuff.

My price ranking below includes appetizers, entree, wine and coffee/tea

Favorite Dish: Mushroom and cheese empanadas. The crust was so light and flaky and the fillings were fresh, which are 2 rare traits in many empanadas

Address: 152 Stanton St at Suffolk
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Lower East Side
Phone: 646-602-2004
Price: US$41 and up
Rating: 5
Theme: Other

• Written Jan 4, 2008

More Restaurants in New York City (1)

typhoidmary Used To Live Here!

“Looking forward to La Dolce Vita”

Have you been to New York City?