"In Lazimpat: Hotel Tibet" Hotel Tibet Tip by Saagar

Hotel Tibet, Kathmandu: 404 reviews and 5 photos

Stayed here for three prolonged periods, one of these times I came and went three times. Booking and such services always impeccable. I figure that the place is popular also omong climbing teams, and Hotel Tiibet has its own hangers-on - repeat visitors treated like family. Very nice and sympatetic owners.
Didn't use too many of the hotel's services on offer, but the average users' stuff: laundry, room service food, telephone, writing/PC use in the room etc.
The electricity plugs were odd, but I managed to pry them open with a pen.
I have never been fond of their breakfast or lobby restaurant ("The Himalayan"), but the Tibetan outfit "Lhasa Kitchen" on the roof top is good. Some people in a party I once brought there got very sick by eating the a la carte food here, and I figure the kitchen staff isn't the most hyginenic or competent crew about.
Meeting rooms available on the top floor.

Unique Qualities: It is quieter here in Lazimpat than in Thamel, the downside is that there are less diverse businesses in the neighbourhood. Super friendly and helpful hotel staff. Prices can be negotiated, often discounts for organisations, groups.
Run by a Tibetan business lady of stature, power and charm.
Relaxed atmosphere.
Business centre of sorts on call, with people that can assist you in business matters, computing, ticketing and the like.
A low key Tibetan carpets and curious store opens upon request
Good beds, big rooms, but a bit on the dark side - Tibetan architectural trait? I once needed a fridge beyond the minibar size as I had perishable goods for my embassy, and they promptly installed one.
I rarely watch TV while in KTM, but there is a TV in each room.
Plenty of eateries nearby if you take my hint regarding the hote kitchen standard.
Good outside terrace for an evening drink served by the Lobby Bar.

Address: P.O. Box 7956, Lazimpat, Kathmandu
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Along Lazimpat north of the Royal Palace, turn into the alley that leads to Raddisson Hotel, turn right at the entrance square to that hotel and proceed till the straight end (200 meters) and you'll be there.
othercontact: htltibet@mail.com.np
Phone: 4429085/6/7/8
Price: US$20-40
Theme: Hotel
Website: http://www.hotel-tibet.com

• Updated Apr 23, 2008

“It's better to be approximately right than precisely wrong...”

Have you been to Kathmandu?