Mountain Inn, Coolaney: "Wonderful Scenery" Top 5 Page for this destination Sligo Hotel Tip by Lyndra

Sligo Hotels: 33 reviews and 40 photos

We arrived in Ireland in the evening and by the time we had collected our rental car and set off for Coolaney it was dark! The drive to get to the Mountain Inn was interesting and we knew we were in the mountains but driving those roads in the dark was quite scary!! In the daytime Coolaney does not disappoint - it is a gorgeous little town and the main road through the Ox mountains is delightful. The Mountain Inn is a very friendly, family feeling guest house with all the usual amenities in the rooms. There is a lovely bar in the hotel and the service is excellent. We did not eat at the inn, prefering to go into Sligo for meals but I am told they do good food too! The village is very quiet so do not come to Coolaney for a wild time but if you want beautiful scenery and a warm welcome you will find it here.
The only real downside for me was the distance from Sligo - about 15 miles. I knew this when I booked but on straight roads this is easy distance. On mountain roads it is harder work!
It costs about £25 pppn which represents really good value (and the rooms were warm too, always a bonus in Irish B&B's!).

Unique Qualities: Peace and tranquility - can't be beaten when you come from a big city!
Be warned, cell phone coverage is variable and unreliable this far into the mountains. I had no signal at all until I came back nearer Sligo!

Address: Rockfield, Coolaney, Sligo
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: You need a good map and phone the owners before you go.
Price: US$40-80
Theme: Inn

• Written Dec 19, 2007

Lyndra Visits Here Frequently!

“Try everything once!!”