"Stuff" Ethiopia Packing List Tip by flynboxes

Ethiopia What to Pack: 16 reviews and 16 photos

Luggage and bags: I hate suitcases since they are cumbersome at best. Since I work for an airline and used to throw bags while I was in college I will never check a bag as long as I live. Most hotels have laundry service for a small fee so no need to overpack. Don't go any wider that the usual carryon since the overhead bins in the Ethiopian F-50s are not the same as Airbus you rode down here in.

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Good walking shoes..tared roads are the exception not the rule yet......
Rainy season lasts around 3 months in Addis so a small unbrella works or you can buy one and a sweatshirt or light jacket is a good idea since it can get a bit cold at night in the North during the (our) winter.

Toiletries and Medical Supplies: I brought all of my own stuff. You can get most of what you need in Addis and the local clinics if you get sick but why trouble yourself with wondering if it is the real thing in the smaller towns plus the locals need access to it more than you do right?

Photo Equipment: There are 35 mm photo shops around town but I am a strong believer in digital now. Don't foget a converter even though you can buy them in town as I found myself doing in Gonder after I lost mine when the power went out in the middle of the night in Addis. Internet is slow here so don't plan on sending pics out unless you like watching paint dry in an internet cafe or can find a fast connection...I did not...but then again I was not interested in doing so either.

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Flashlight/Torch (Right Andrew?). Addis is growing fast and the power will go out at the cheaper hotels and you will need it if you want to see some of the Churches in Lalibela.
Mosquito net is a good idea if you are headed South and you can give it to a local when you leave since Malaria is an issue for them too.

Miscellaneous: Patience/humor....few things happen fast here and things break but if you can laugh it off
as I did when the power went out after typing a rather long email you will manage ok.

• Updated Dec 17, 2007

“There are too many Americans in Antigua..heard from an Austrian girl in Hawaii Park, Guatemala”

Have you been to Ethiopia?