"Think you've seen it all?!" Egypt Tourist Trap Tip by onebikeonehorse

Egypt Tourist Traps: 219 reviews and 112 photos

My wife and I just left egypt.

REMEMBER THIS IF YOU REMEMBER ANYTHING: all of the Papyrus is printed by a MACHINE! The only part of the tourist papyrus that is not printed, is the signature that is sometimes done in house. We went to Khan a Khalili and the lies and junk were everywhere. It was overwhelming. WE met an egyptian friend that told us the "secrets" and he told us the real prices of things and it was a good thing we met him. We almost paid waaaaaay too much for some nicer prints on the papyrus. One man even told us that there were "70 artists that hand painted all of the papyrus in egypt" Hmmm....70 people, 1.9 million tourists a year...the math doesn't work for me.

Remember this also, you are in CHARGE of your trip and the scammers or high pressure sales people know that most tourists have GUILT emotions waiting to get out. They will give you tea, chat about your country, get to know you and then sometimes not let you leave. They will even package things up for you before you even talk about buying it. They know you will feel an obligation once they give you tea and a seat. Don't feel OBLIGATED!!!

TAXI DRIVERS: Talk to people and find out what a real taxi ride should cost. From Giza to our Cairo hotel the taxi driver said 50 lbs. I talked to an older business man and he told me it should cost 20 lbs. I paid 20. Sometimes TAXI drivers will use traffic as an excuse to change the price mid ride. STAND YOUR GROUND! We had taxi drivers say they wanted more money due to traffic..mid ride, only to make it to our hotel in record time. No traffic.

NOTHING IN CAIRO IS FREE! NOT EVEN FRIENDSHIP IN MOST CASES!!!! We met a "nice" guy walking on a bridge, chatted for 20 minutes while walking, and bam sure enough once we let our guard down, he wanted to show us his "friends shop"......Also, Don't let anyone touch your bags, open the door, or show you a part of a monument, unless you want to give a TIP!

Unique Suggestions: Leave your guilt at home in your underwear drawer. The scammers have been doing this longer then you, and when you think you have seen it all, be prepared, you haven't. The Egyptian scammers are better than you! I promise you that. If you are traveling there and you are not egyptian, you are a tourist, and they have your number. The only thing I will say is that not once did my wife and I feel in danger. It was incredibly safe, but the high pressure sales got to be very very mind numbing. We met some of the nicest people on the earth, and some of them were nice, super nice, until we turned them down, but then BAM, they walked away after giving a little insult or guilt trip. Trying to make us feel guilty for not giving more.

Fun Alternatives: The alternative, is LEAVE YOUR GUILT AT HOME! Don't let their sad eyes, sob stories and cute little children prompt you into opening up your wallet.

• Updated Dec 15, 2007

“If you're not traveling, you're not turning the pages”

Ranked Member