3rd Street Diner: "24 hours? Why were there locks?" 3rd Street Diner Tip by ATXtraveler

3rd Street Diner, Richmond: 2 reviews and 5 photos

3rd Street Diner, Richmond, VA
      3rd Street Diner, Richmond, VA
      Mushroom Omelette, 3rd Street Diner, Richmond, VA
    by ATXtraveler

The best way to enjoy a day of exploring a city is to make sure you have a good healthy breakfast. This will ensure that you have enough calories to burn through when those excruciating walks up the hills of Richmond start beating you down.

Nat (B1Bob) and I decided to give the 3rd Street Diner a shot for our morning fuel. After all, anything that is located on 3rd and Main, must be good... right?

Well, I knew we were off to a bad start when we get to the door of this famous 24 hour diner, and it is locked. Hmm... maybe it is shift change, maybe there was recently a robbery... many things may explain the reason to keep the door closed to patrons. After a few moments we notice what appears to be the manager sitting in the restaurant talking on the phone. Patiently, a first door knock occurs. As we watch the lady, no movement. A second knock... acknowledgment, no action. At this point we begin the movement away, and another young lady comes up to the door, and knocks a third time. Finally the waitress/manager comes, phone on head, and opens the door begrudgingly. Supposedly, a waitress did not show up this morning, and yet instead of letting us sit in the restaurant, we were forced to make sure all the paint was drying properly on the outside.

After our bad start, we sit down and survey the menu. Nothing sticks out to me, but we go with a traditional plate of American Breakfast favorites. A typical egg omelette for me, with some hash browns and a cup of coffee. I also ask for a bottle of Tabasco or some other form of hot sauce, which comes when my meal is nearly completed. On a scale of one to delicious this mean received a resounding, won't be back.

We even had a bit of trouble on the way out paying for the meal, as an itemized receipt seemed very difficult to receive! Altogether, I would recommend trying any other diner in the greater Richmond Area... as this one receives the old Pass! from me.

Address: 218 E. Main St., Richmond, VA 23219
Price Comparison: less expensive than average
Directions: FROM I-95: Take Exit 75 (I-64 E, Williamsburg, Norfolk) on right 0.2 mi (0.3 km); Take 3rd St (Coliseum, Downtown) ramp on right 0.1 mi (0.2 km); Continue onto N 3rd St 0.6 mi (1 km); Tur
Phone: (804) 788-4750
Price: less than US$10
Rating: 2
Theme: Autogrill/Rest Stop
Website: http://billofare.com/0002u01.htm

• Written Dec 15, 2007

“Don't Worry About Tomorrow... Its Already Happened in Australia!”

Have you been to Richmond?