"The Continent's mega Shopping and Gourmet Temple" Top 5 Page for this destination KaDeWe - Kaufhaus des Westens Tip by Kakapo2

KaDeWe - Kaufhaus des Westens, Berlin: 22 reviews and 28 photos

Behind this facade a gourmet temple is hiding.
by Kakapo2
      Behind this facade a gourmet temple is hiding.
    by Kakapo2
      You can eat delicatessen on site.
      Hard choice...
    by Kakapo2

Shoppoholics might call me crazy, but I think such shopping paradises like the KaDeWe are the first thing you can delete from your to-do-list if you have limited time. Ok, I admit, I went there for 30 minutes on our last visit although we had a tight schedule, and looked for some things I had not found in New Zealand (and I did not find them there either LOL) ? and had I not just had had breakfast shortly before, I would have stayed longer and tasted some of the delicatessen they offer there on a whole floor ;-)

KaDeWe stand for Kaufhaus des Westens ? Department Store of the West. It is more than just a store with a good selection of everything. It is the biggest one of its kind in continental Europe, bigger than Galeries Lafayette in Paris. Germany?s Harrods.

It was founded in 1907, so has just become a hundred years old. However, it was hugely damaged during World War II but reconstructed and reopened in 1950.

On eight storeys you find ? nearly ? everything. Apart from cheap stuff, perhaps. You can spend a fortune for all the nice and exclusive things.

My favourite floor is the sixth. This is the culinary paradise and gourmet temple of the building. Do not go there hungry, or you get crazy because you will not be able to decide which delicatessen you should taste first. Lobster, oysters, fish bites, rinse it down with a glass of champagne. Also the hundred different and artistically decorated cakes, all kinds of bread and smallgoods you can imagine can give you a hard time ? especially if you are an expatriate living in a country which has neither a bread nor a smallgoods culture? Believe me, walking through those aisles can make me homesick, and I really do not get this feeling very often. Isn?t it strange that food you grew up with forms part of your identity?

But sure, as they have delicatessen from all parts of the world you will always discover something nice from your home country. All nice ? and all expensive LOL

Open Mon ? Thu 10am ? 8pm, Fri 10am ? 10pm, Sat 9.30am ? 8pm

Address: Tauentzienstr. 21-24, 10789 Berlin-Charlottenburg
Directions: U- and S-Bahn station Zoologischer Garten
U-Bahn stations Wittenbergplatz and Kurfürstendamm
Bus stops Breitscheidplatz, Wittenbergplatz and Europa-Center

Phone: (030) 21 21-0
Website: http://www.kadewe.de

• Written Dec 13, 2007

“Visit dream destinations but keep your eyes open”

Have you been to Berlin?