"The Shop Window Boxes of Kudamm" Top 5 Page for this destination Ku-Damm - Kurfuerstendamm Tip by Kakapo2

Ku-Damm - Kurfuerstendamm, Berlin: 25 reviews and 36 photos

Nothing special - but I love them!
by Kakapo2

Perhaps it is nostalgia that makes me look at the shop window boxes of Kudamm with a smile, and this could be a sign that I am really getting older ;-)

Those window boxes are placed in the middle of the footpath, and contain nothing but advertisements, and some exhibits from the adjoining shops. But to me they are part of Kudamm and thus part of Berlin, and I had looked forward to walking around them after so many years of not being in the city. I had feared they would have demolished them. So I was happy to find them unharmed.

Another thing I would have liked to see unchanged was Café Kranzler which was an absolutely unique structure from the 1960s. Walking past it, or having a coffee there had always been like looking at or being part of an old movie with Audrey Hepburn. But unfortunately this piece of nostalgia has been renovated, and reopened with offices, shops, and a new café. It has lost its romantic flair. I read that Café Kranzler had been considered an eyesore of the sixties, and thus had to be taken into more modern times. I do not agree, I think this change is a loss ? although I admit that the new structure is NO eyesore? And had I not known the original I would not complain at all.

Address: Kurfürstendamm, Berlin-Charlottenburg
Directions: U-Bahn station Kurfürstendamm

• Written Dec 12, 2007

Comments

Kakapo2

“Visit dream destinations but keep your eyes open”

Have you been to Berlin?