"The Centre of the West" Top 5 Page for this destination Ku-Damm - Kurfuerstendamm Tip by Kakapo2

Ku-Damm - Kurfuerstendamm, Berlin: 25 reviews and 36 photos

The most famous feature of Kurfürstendamm.
by Kakapo2

As I grew up in post-war West Germany I grew up with Kurfürstendamm as the centre of Berlin. If you now see the hordes of tourists running around Potsdamer Platz and Sony Centre you can hardly imagine that Kurfürstendamm ? only called Kudamm ? has once been this one and only centre for us Westerners.

But the longer the day lasts the more it transforms back into the buzzling centre it has ever been. There are so many cultural places to go to, theatres, cabarets, museums, galleries, live music, cinemas, you name it. And you have lots of boutiques, cafés, pubs, and discotheques for bar-hopping at night.

The war-damaged spire of Kaiser-Wilhelm-Gedächtnis-Kirche is the most striking feature of the area. It sits at the end of Kudamm which continues as Tauentzienstraße. The other high tower beside it is Europa-Center, a shopping and restaurant complex which was built in 1965.

Whenever I visited Berlin, on private or business trips, I nearly always chose accommodation near Kudamm, so I could stroll along the boulevard, so much I liked it.

Although I do not shop till I drop I have also always loved to go into KaDeWe, this Harrod?s-like department store, some steps from Kudamm.

Address: Kurfürstendamm, Berlin-Charlottenburg/Wilmersdorf
Directions: U-Bahn station Kurfürstendamm

• Written Dec 12, 2007

“Visit dream destinations but keep your eyes open”

Have you been to Berlin?