VirtualTourist.com will close on Feb 27th.

"Along Big Sandy, a last encounter before solitude." Wind River Things to Do Tip by kokoryko

Wind River Things to Do: 35 reviews and 153 photos

Along Big Sandy

Along Big Sandy
      Quiet waters
      Fast waters on rocks
      Lonesome gooseberry
      Glimpse to Big Sandy Lake
    by kokoryko

The Big Sandy river is very small here, a few meters wide stream running over big boulders, in a small valley; further south it becomes a wide river fed by many brooks and rills which finally joins the Green River 100 km south from where I am walking; I am heading to its origin a few kilometers upstream. The trail goes up in the forest leaving the river for some time; around 11 a.m. I met two hikers coming down; first, one sitting on a rock who told me he was waiting for his injured fellow (injury was a sprain at the ankle); we had a chat, told about the weather, a possible camp place upstream, where we come from (the usual things trekkers tell about when they meet) and the second guy appeared; I did not like the view of this guy carrying a gun on his waist; he was certainly a nice person, but I am really not used to that custom, and I still do not see the need for having that sort of thing. I quickly went up, said bye to the guys and went on my way to Big Sandy Lake. These guys were the last ones I met for a few days. Wilderness was waiting for me.
The waters of Big Sandy are sometimes running fast, some times flowing quietly in meanders in flat valley portions; the small rills are usually flowing fast. In the forest, nice surprises await the open eyes: gooseberries, well, not a lot, animals already ate almost all of them, and they are over matured at that season, but they had a nice taste, mmmm. The trail was going up and between the trees, I soon could have a glimpse to Big Sandy Lake where I would arrive in short time.

• Updated Dec 6, 2007

Comments

kokoryko

“Il me plait de courir sans but et sans raison . . . .”

Have you been to Wind River?