La Mancha: "La Mancha - Spanish in Putney" Top 5 Page for this destination The Toy Shop Tip by sue_stone

The Toy Shop, London: 2 reviews and 6 photos

Jen and her giant red cocktail
      Jen and her giant red cocktail
      My meal
      Anita's meal
      La Mancha
      La Mancha
    by sue_stone

I was meeting some VT girlfriends for dinner at a bar/restaurant in Putney call Louhannah. I had been looking for somewhere new to try, and when I came across their cool website and affordable menu it sounded perfect. Small problem - when we arrived we discovered Louhannah had closed down!

Oh well, what could we do but drown our sorrows with a cocktail at the restaurant next door, called La Mancha. Turns out La Mancha Spanish Tapas Bar & Restaurant is a bit of a Putney institution, and was nice and busy on this chilly Monday night.

Favorite Dish: After perching at the bar for a while, we moved to a table at the rear of the restaurant. Now there was a big decision to be made - should we get a load of Tapas to share, or order individual meals. After much deliberation, only Jen ordered from the Tapas menu, two dishes, along with a green salad (which she wasn't too thrilled about).

I opted for the Jarreta de Cordero (Shank of lamb served with a white beans casserole), as did Carolyn, while Anita was a bit more adventurous with the Zarzuela de Pescado Y Mariscos (Casserole of mussels, prawns, monkfish, squids and sea bass with lobster sauce).

The meals were ok quality and size, and pretty good value. Service was friendly enough, though I felt a bit ignored towards the end of the meal. There was a good atmosphere though, and it turned out to be a decent substitute venue for our girly dinner.

Address: 32 Putney High Street, London SW15 1SQ
Price Comparison: about average
Directions: Nearest station: Putney
Phone: 020 8780 1022
Price: US$31-40
Rating: 3
Theme: Eclectic/International

• Written Dec 4, 2007

sue_stone Used To Live Here!

Have you been to London?