"Visit the Toji Temple (Kyo-o-gokokuji Temple)" Top 5 Page for this destination Toji Temple Tip by joiwatani
Toji Temple, Kyoto: 26 reviews and 87 photos
The Toji Temple is one of the temples in Kyoto that is a "must see temple". Every single temple in Kyoto has it's own beauty but the Toji Temple is very unique. It's ground and compound is so large that it actually reminds me of the old universities in the United States. The temple has so many structures. Each one has it's own unique beauty.
The Toji Temple was built in the 13th year of the Enryaku (794).Iit is a national treasure of Japan. In fact, the pagoda is the symbol mostly used in Japan internationally- just like the Kinkakuji Temple. The pagoda is about 187 feet. Emperor Kammu transferred the capital from Nara to Kyoto and he built two guard temples on the east and the west siden of the Rajyo-mon. The Toji Temple was built on the East. It is the East Temple.
The temple was built by Kobo-daishi in 826. The temple was burned down four times after being struck by lightning. The present pagoda was built by the third Tokugawa Shogun Iemitsu in 1644. Inside the temple, the images of the Four Buddhas and their followers, the eight great Bosatsu, are found. Unfortunately, I can't show you the pictures because it is very sacred. Taking pictures inside the temple is strictly prohibited.
Address: Jujyo-cho 1, Minami-ku, Kyoto 601-8473
More Things to Do in Kyoto (57)
More Reviews (42)
- See All Request for extra glass of water
- See All Bring cash instead of credit cards
- See All Take the Kintetsu Train
- See All Buy coasters
- See All Look at the bald spot of the mountain in...
- See All Eat the artisan's breads and pastries
- Parents beware!!!
- See All Look at their display of food before you...
- See the night lanterns at the Matching...
- Warm jackets and good pair of walking...
- See All Inexpensive and close to the bus station
Been to Kyoto?Share your travels with the world!
joiwatani's Related Pages
Have you been to Kyoto?Share Your Travels